A tailor made web programme for Looked After Young People to develop financial know-how, improve reading and writing, working with numbers and life skills generally, to make you better placed to achieve your aims in adult life. Stepladder has 6 Steps, shows your progress, and the amount of money you have earned when you successfully complete a Step.
The programme is open to all 15 -17 year olds who’ve been in care for at least one year, and offers young people the chance to have a personal mentor where it can be arranged, to help with progress and to provide support when moving on to further education, training, or employment. A great opportunity to learn, earn, and save money all at the same time.
In order to take the Stepladder programme you must:
- Have a Junior ISA opened under the government scheme
- Have reached your 15th birthday
Here are the steps and what you earn in your Junior ISA for each one
- Literacy – that is, reading and writing - £150
- Numeracy – that is, handling numbers - £150
- Financial capability (1) Making my Money Work – basic money sense - ££200
- Plan for the future – 250 words on how you plan adult life - £250
- Financial capability (2) Managing my Money – an 8 week radio course with lots of money info - £350
- Mentoring - securing future education, employment or training, with individual help - £400
Take all six steps and you’ll earn £1,500 in your Junior ISA: for you to draw out at 18
Benefits for young people
- Save while you learn – take the steps, make the money!
- Easy learning, anytime, anywhere! All you need is internet connection, then work at your own pace, measure your progress, and be rewarded for completing each step.
- Learn how to manage your money as a life skill
- Start planning for your future and get a personal mentor
- Consider becoming a mentor for the Stepladder of Achievement for someone else in the future.
With a roll-out across Local Authorities starting in Autumn 2016, The Share Foundation will be offering you a chance to make more money in your Junior ISA as you build your know-how with money.
Interested? Click here to see when your local authority will be switched on to the programme
Any queries? Just call The Share Foundation on 01296 310400